Learn how to crochet a mini heart with this step-by-step photo and guided video tutorial. This easy + free crochet heart pattern is made using beginner-friendly stitches!
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. See my full disclosure here.
Mini crochet hearts are fun and easy to make! This beginner-friendly heart applique works up in about 5 minutes and it uses 4 different stitches. The stitches used in this pattern are a slip stitch, double crochet, treble crochet, and a chain stitch.
I adore making these mini hearts as they can be used for lots of different things. I like to sew them onto some of my crochet blankets, as well as sweaters. It adds the perfect homemade touch!
Down below you’ll find a list of some fun ways to use your crochet hearts.
5 Project Ideas for Your Crochet Mini Hearts
- Crochet Heart Garland – Make multiple hearts and glue a string on top to create a garland.
- Handmade Valentine’s Card – You could make a bunch of these for Valentine’s day and glue them on top of some card stock or you could put them in the envelope for a fun surprise!
- Crochet Heart Picture Frame – You could buy a shadowbox frame and put these mini hearts in it as a display.
- Attach to Projects – You can attach these hearts to a crochet blanket or any other type of crochet project.
- Crochet Mini Heart Bookmark – Crochet two of these crochet mini hearts and add a string in between each heart for a bookmark.
How to Crochet a Different Size Heart?
One thing that I wanted to note about this free crochet heart pattern is that you can make it in any size. All you have to do is follow the pattern as is, but pick a different yarn size and hook.
For example, a large hook and a bulky-weight yarn will make a big crochet heart. A small hook with a thinner-weight yarn, will make a small crochet heart.
So I say, experiment, and see what you like best!
Alright, let’s start our pattern.
Pin it for later
Materials You Will Need to Make This Heart Applique
Here are some of the materials you will need to make these crochet hearts:
- Crochet Hook, I used a 6.5 mm crochet hook.
- You will need some worsted-weight yarn or yarn of your choice. I used Lion Brand Lazy Days Yarn in the color Woodrose.
- Pair of scissors to cut your yarn.
- A darning needle to work in your tail end.
ch – chain: Yarn over, pull through loop on hook.
ss – slip stitch: Insert hook into stitch, yarn over, pull through stitch and loop on hook.
dc – double crochet: Yarn over, insert hook into stitch and pull through, yarn over and pull through first two loops on hook, yarn over and pull through last two loops on hook.
tc – treble crochet: Yarn over hook twice, insert hook into stitch and pull through, yarn over and pull through first two loops on hook, yarn over, pull through next two loops on hook, yarn over, and pull through last two loops on hook.
Mini Crochet Heart Pattern
Step 1: Make a magic circle and chain 3.
Step 2: Make 4 more double crochets for a total of 5 (chain 3 counts as a double crochet).
Step 3: Make a treble crochet, and chain 1.
Step 4: Slip stitch to the top of the treble crochet.
Step 5: Make 5 more double crochets, then make a treble crochet, and chain 1.
Step 6: Pull your magic loop close and make a slip stitch in the middle of the magic circle.
Step 7: Cut your yarn and weave in your ends.
I hope you enjoyed making these mini crochet hearts. Sharing is caring, don’t forget to pin this post to share with others!