Learn how to crochet a laptop cover in any size using this easy tutorial. Keep your laptop free of scratches with a beautiful handmade laptop sleeve!
All you need for this DIY laptop case is bulky weight yarn, a crochet hook, and a tape measure.
DIY Crochet Laptop Cover
I’ve been making my own crochet laptop covers for years, it’s one of my favorite things to crochet. With an endless amount of crochet stitches and yarn options, you can make loads of different designs.
I’ve shared a couple of these laptop patterns on the blog, including this easy Crochet Laptop Case and the Lotus Laptop Case. I loved my Lotus Laptop Cover so much, that I made a second one and even made a video tutorial for it.
One thing that I love about making crochet laptop covers is that you don’t need a lot of materials to get started. All you need is some chunky bulky weight yarn, a corresponding crochet hook, and a tape measure.
It’s that’s simple!
Other Crochet Patterns You Might Like
- Easy Crochet Laptop Case – A beginner-friendly pattern that can be made in less than 2 hours!
- Lotus Laptop Case – An intermediate crochet pattern that includes a guided step-by-step video tutorial.
Materials You Will Need
Yarn – You can choose any type of yarn, but I recommend a worsted weight yarn or a bulky weight yarn.
In this tutorial, I will be showing you how to make a crochet laptop cover with bulky weight yarn. The yarn I used for this project is Lion Brand Thick & Quick. It’s a blended acrylic wool yarn.
You can also use a cotton-based yarn for this crochet project. One of my favorite cotton yarns to use is Hobby Lobby I Love This Cotton Yarn.
Crochet Hook – You will need a crochet hook. The size of your crochet hook will depend on which yarn you decided to use for this project.
I used a 10.00 mm crochet hook for this tutorial.
Gauge Swatch Measuring Tool – This tool will help figure out how many stitches and rows you make within 1″ inch.
Tape Measure – The tape measure is used to measure the length and width of your laptop.
Instructions for Making a Crochet Laptop Cover in Any Size
1. Crochet a swatch in single crochet and write down the number of stitches you have in 1″ inch and how many rows you have in 1″ inch.
For example, I have 2 stitches in 1″ inch and a total of 3 rows in 1″ inch.
2. Next, you want to measure the length and width of your laptop. My laptop is 9″ inches by 13″ inches.
Now you want to multiply the height x the number of rows you have in one inch (13″ x 3″ = 39 rows), and multiply the width x the number of stitches in one inch ( 9″ x 2″ = 18 stitches).
So now you know how many stitches and rows you need for your custom crochet laptop cover!
3. Once you know the correct amount of stitches and rows, you need to decide on the design. You can crochet a long rectangle and fold it over like I did with my crochet laptop cover or you can make 2 panels and seam it together.
It’s totally up to you! What crochet design did you choose?
Depending on what design you chose, you can always add embellishments by surface crocheting or embroidery.
Tips for an Easy Crochet Laptop Case
- Start with an easy design idea, for example, crochet 2 rectangles and a loop for a button on the backside of the panel. Once this is done, whip stitch both panels together.
- Bulky weight yarn is not only stylish, but it also provides great protection for your laptop!
- Choose a basic stitch to get started in making your own crochet laptop cover.
- When using a worsted weight yarn, double up and use 2 strands at once. This creates a nice sturdy texture!
What yarn is best for a crochet laptop case?
I recommend either a worsted weight yarn or a bulky weight yarn. I think these types of yarns are best for a crochet laptop cover because the yarn is on the thicker end. So thicker yarn means more protection for your laptop!
You can also hold two strands of a worsted weight yarn together.
How do I decorate my laptop case?
You can decorate your laptop by adding embroidery, beads, buttons, or even use a technique called tapestry crochet.
How do you make a simple laptop sleeve?
You can make a basic crochet laptop cover by making only single crochets. You can make one long rectangle, fold it in half and seam it on the sides. Lastly, add a button and you’re done!
I love making and designing my own laptop cases and so I hope you enjoyed this guided tutorial on how to make a crochet laptop case in any size.
The best part about making your own case is that no one has one like it, it’s truly unique and homemade. They also make wonderful gifts, especially for anybody starting high school or college.
If you decide to make one, I would love to see it, so don’t forget to share it with me on Facebook or Instagram.
PIN IT for later